Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Week 2 - Hazelnut Meringues

Ok, so my confession is I substituted this weeks cookies recipe. It was supposed to be these almond cookies - but I kinda hate almond cookies. Or at least I really dislike almond extract. So I decided to make meringues instead (partially due to the fact that I did not have any butter). Anyways, they are delicious! Enjoy!


3/4 cup superfine sugar
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
pinch of salt
4 large egg whites at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup hazelnuts - toasted, skinned and crushed


Beat egg whites and vanilla until frothy. Beat on high speed and slowly add the flour mixture. Beat until stiff, glossy peaks form (4 min). Fold in 3/4 cup hazelnuts.

Drop teaspoon sized drops on a baking sheet and top with remaining nuts.

Bake at 275 degree (F) for 30 min - let cool in the oven (temp off, door slightly ajar) for another 20-30 min. Let cool on a tray for another hour.

No comments: