Friday, February 29, 2008

Colourful Cupcakes

I made cupcakes for a meeting I had yesterday. They were birthday cake cupcakes with vanilla buttercream icing. I used the birthday cake recipe from the William Sonoma cake book. It is the first recipe in the book and I just cut the baking time to make it suitable for cupcakes. Instead of 20-25 min, I did 15-20 min.


The cake recipe isn't very hard. Your typical flour, sugar, butter, baking powder, etc. The icing on the otherhand was an undertaking!


The first problem with my icing started when I was baking the cake itself. Buttercream requires, among other things - a lot of butter. I turned on my oven to preheat it, and didn't really notice that I had left my bag of groceries (which contained the butter) on top of the stove. I started making my batter, when I thought I smelt burning plastic. I looked over at my stove and my grocery bag had metled onto my element. When I grabbed the bag to take it off the stove, the brand new box of butter poured down my arm and onto my stove. All 4 sticks of butter had FULLY MELTED!!!! The box of butter was filled with liquid and needless to say I had to go buy more.

Vanilla Buttercream is delicious. However be prepared for a time commitement. You end up having to clean your mixing bowl a number of time. I love the William Sonoma recipe but it is a lot of prep - there are easier buttercream recipes online.

Vanilla Buttercream recipe: http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/recipedetail.cfm?objectid=297642B6-04BE-414A-99E9969C9EE672D0

Birthday Cake recipe: http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/recipedetail.cfm?objectid=C53C4D51%2D9BF8%2D44A3%2D9CC6FB1D44BC485B

Despite all my icing woes they turned out great and my meeting was successful! I think all the coloured sprinkles on top helped! More soon...

No comments: