Friday, March 14, 2008

Butterscotch Coconut Cookies

Last night I made butterscotch coconut cookies. They are pretty good but I had some problems with the dough. The recipe calls for you to mix all the dough together then add the coconut and butterscotch chips. I always mix in chips by hand - I feel that it gets a better distribution throughout the mix then using the mixer. But last night when I added the final two ingredients I could not get the dough to mix with them. I ended up having to put it back on the mixer stand and beat the chips and coconut in. I thought that would be the end of my difficulties but I was wrong. Now that the chips and coconut were finally integrated the dough wouldn't stick together. I ended up having to press the balls the same way you would try and create a snowball from snow that doesn't want to stick. Not a huge fan of the difficulty in forming these cookies, but all in all they tasted pretty good.

1 1/3 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
11/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2 sugar
1/2 packed brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 3/4 sweetened shredded coconut
1 1/2 cups butterscotch chips

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together. In a mixing stand cream the butter, then add the granulated and brown sugars mixing until no longer gritty. Add the egg and vanilla and mix together.

Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix on low. Then add the coconut and butterscotch. Form into 1 inch balls and bake for about 15 minutes.

No comments: